Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thinking about Designing a Course

I guess I didn't realize that there is a lot of thought that goes into the actual design of teaching a class. Sometimes I feel like I know the material, so I just need to share it with others! What could be easier than that? Then I get frustrated because I understand it BUT WHY AREN'T THEY GETTING IT !! After many years of not knowing that there are people who are paid to design classes and that, yes, there is actual thought that goes into designing a lesson plan, I finally jumped on the Instructional Design bandwagon.

It seems like there are people who really know their stuff (the SME) and then there's people who really know how to design a lesson plan. Somehow, we have to get the two together. I do consider myself a SME in some things. So, I have to work on the other side -- how to design a class so that the students are actually learning something.

I'm enjoying the process, but at times I get frustrated with the mumbo jumbo of the educational world. Sometimes it seems like I'm reading whole articles about Instructional Technology and Technology Integration and thinking that the article was a whole bunch of nothing. Sometimes it seems like they just need to state the obvious, like "keep it simple, give out small chunks of information as to not overwhelm the student". Well, duh. Who wouldn't do that? To tell you the truth, that's why I didn't go into teaching in the first place. It just seemed so basic and obvious on what to do.

No comments: